Saturday, October 28, 2023

Matthew Perry 1969-2023

It was November 4th, 1994, and I turned on the television for something to do (it was a Thursday, and Thursday night always meant something good on NBC, ever since "Cheers" debuted in 1982).  The show that was on had already started, so I didn't know what it was called, but a likeable, sarcastic young man named Chandler got stuck in an ATM vestibule with a Victoria Secret model during a blackout, while his buddies back in their apartment have various hijinks.

At one point, trying not to seem nervous in front of her, Chandler tells the beauty (Jill Connick) that "Gum would be perfection."  Of course, he then questions his choice of words (in an inner monologue that was--I think--absolutely unique for the series).  I didn't know the name of the show, but I knew how hard it was making me laugh, and that I liked the characters, especially the one I mistook for "the main guy."

Matthew Perry as Chandler Bing was my favorite of the "Friends," a series I watched religiously (even it's mediocre third season) from that point until its finale a decade later.  I know the show has its haters, but in a time when I was lonely and all-too-aware of the fact, I really considered these six fictional characters my friends, and looked forward to watching the show each Thursday, whether I had roommates to watch with me, or all by myself.

Over the years, they gave the character all sorts of interesting quirks and developments, and I was extremely pleased when they introduced a romance with Monica Geller, new insecurities that came with being with her (such as abiding her obsessive cleanliness and measuring up to the perfect ex-boyfriend played by Tom Selleck), and I ultimately rooted for the two of them to live happily ever after, rather than the constant focus on Ross and Rachel in the first few seasons.

There were good episodes and lesser ones, great laughs and small chuckles, but when all was said and done, I felt the show deserved its enormous spotlight, and I followed Perry to other projects, like FOOLS RUSH IN, "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip," and those two NINE YARDS movies he made with Bruce Willis.  Heck, I even watched "Go On" until it was canceled, and "Mr. Sunshine" until I couldn't stand any more.

Well, it was with sadness that I read today that Matthew Perry, TV's Chandler Bing, was found dead, of an apparent drowning in his hot tub.  He was fifty-four.  

Rest in peace, my friend.  Gum would be perfection.


No comments: