Wednesday, June 07, 2023

New Phone, Who Am I?

So, I've been having all sorts of issues with my phone lately (dropped calls, bad reception, no internet, only sending a signal to one headphone, inability to identify a Smooth Jazz song I hear playing in the background, etc.), and my nephew told me, "It's your phone.  You need a new one."  And I said, "But I've taken care of it.  I thought I'd keep it at least one more year."  And he said, "It won't work anymore because they want you to get a new one."

Well, I didn't believe him, so I went to T-Mobile to ask, and the tattooed, pierced fourteen year old girl behind the counter said almost the exact same thing Kayden said.  She tried to sell me a new phone, but I went home and thought about it.  That night, Big and I were going to record our podcast, but I couldn't hear him when we were planning it, so that made up my mind.

I went over the next day (yesterday), and spent ninety minutes buying a new phone (though sadly, it was a tattooed, multi-piercing twenty-something guy that got the commission--if they work on commissions, that is).  I paid to have the data transferred over, as well as the account (and phone number), and in some ways, it's just like my old phone--same size and shape, with the same apps, just a 5G connection rather than a 2 and 4G one (or none, the last few days).

I went over to my cousin's, we watched some TV, and showed him the phone while there, and put it where I always do to charge when I got home, and went to bed.

I woke up in the night, as I often do, and it was hours before my alarm would go off, so I went back to sleep.

Some time later, I opened my eyes, wondering how much time I had left . . . and it was close to eleven-thirty.  

Oh yeah, I have a new phone, and while it (supposedly) ported over all the information and texts and numbers from my old phone, it didn't include silly stuff like ringtones and alarms.  Crap.

No comments: