Sunday, July 10, 2022

7/8 to 7/10

7/8

I made it to the library again, as I usually do on a Friday night.  But tonight, I'm going to see THOR 4 at nine-thirty, so I got here as early as I could, wrote almost as soon as I sat down . . . and then wasted at least an hour on Wikipedia.  Sorry.

I got the story to 6744 words.  So hey, I'm going okay.

Tonight I saw THOR: LOVE & THUNDER with Jeff and his family.  I thought Gorr the God Butcher was particularly terrifying, and really liked Portman's turn as Jane Foster Thor throughout (and I haven't liked a performance of hers since V FOR VENDETTA).  I also liked that they gave Valkyrie so much to do.

At the same time, dude, there are so many kids in this movie.  Kids are the worst.

Jeff's oldest son apparently hated the movie*, which surprised me.  He said, "Well, there's officially only one good Thor movie."  Which is fine--you can like what you like--I can't really address that, being one of only six people in America who liked THOR: THE DARK WORLD.

I personally think there's only one officially bad Thor movie, and that's the first one.  But hey, if I went back and watched it again, I might not think it was bad at all (it at least has Loki in it).  

Writing or Exercise: Writing

7/9

I went to a yard sale this morning with my cousin, way up north (more than an hour away from my place, and more than ninety minutes away from Ryan's house), because a radio DJ and toy collector died recently, and there was an estate sale being done (I got the impression that his widow was there, but a couple younger dudes were being paid to run it).  It started yesterday, and apparently all the good stuff was sold then, but I found a crazy amount of junk that I wanted, considering it was being sold for a dollar a figure.

It was only the tip of the iceberg as far as the collection goes, and one of the dudes there said there were hundreds of boxes of toys in the house they would put up for sale in a couple of weeks.  I look forward to it.

What I don't look forward to, though, is the day my family has to sell off all my junk.  Ryan said, "Your mom will be the same way, selling off your stuff for a dollar apiece, with no idea what any of it is worth."  And it's a disquieting thought, but not at all inaccurate.**

Writing or Exercise: Writing

7/10

Jeff is in town for a family reunion in Montana which he's going to tomorrow morning, which means this week will be a regular one for me, going to the cabin on Wednesday, and boy, I look forward to it.  I guess that makes me weird.  But hey, come up to the cabin with me sometime, and you can judge for yourself.

I went to Jeff's house and played Ticket To Ride with him, his wife, and his three kids.  It was the Italy version, which was harder, because you had to use ferries, and because I didn't know the geography.  It was fun to hear how people said the city names.


His younger son is a math genius (Jeff is more of a language genius, though he probably qualifies in other areas), and could tell us our scores without going around the board, just from doing the math in his head.  I tied for second place, and would have won if I'd paid attention to how many trains the other guys had (in two turns, I'd have had two more Destinations, but I didn't get two more turns).

Afterward, instead of watching a shockingly-bad movie, we watched one more episode of "Supernatural."  But Jeff was falling asleep during it, so he said what he always says, "I'm going to kick you out now."  But hey, I drove home, and still had time to go on a run, list some figures, read a blog, and type this, before going to sleep myself.

Writing or Exercise: Exercise


*Maybe both of them did, because his younger son said, "I think I'm done with the MCU."

**I kept thinking about it, and ultimately figured I'd do an episode talking about it.

No comments: