Tuesday, July 12, 2022

7/11 & 7/12

7/11

Happy 7-Eleven day, kids!  The Slurpiees are on me.

I sat down and wrote for about thirty minutes today, writing the scene in "Balms & Sears" before the scene that I've been wanting to write for almost a decade now.  I don't know what's going to happen tomorrow, but I have a feeling that once I start writing The Scene (basically, the climax of the story/movie), I won't want to stop.  And that's pretty great, huh?

I checked, and the document is at 56,000 words, so not too shabby, eh?

A couple of weeks ago, I told my Aunt Blanca that I would go with her to the airport to see off her granddaughters, because they had a late-ish flight, and Blanca can't drive at night.

The flight was at 9:50pm, and we left plenty early (around 6:30), but we needn't have bothered, because the flight was delayed.  And delayed.  And delayed.

We went through security and that sort of thing--apparently, if you're seeing kids off, you're allowed to go to the gate with them, as long as you have a pass to do so.  Blanca bought all of us hyper-expensive food at Cafe Rio, and then we were informed that the flight was bumped to 10:45.  Which made her older granddaughter complain, but ah well, it gave us an extra hour to get settled, and gave me an opportunity to sit down and do my writing for the night.  But then the flight was delayed to eleven.  And then eleven-fifteen.  And then eleven-thirty.  With each passing delay, the older granddaughter got more and more upset, anxious, etc., to the point where she called her dad (who was going to pick them up at the airport) to ask if we could just turn around and go home.  Since I had given up my entire night for this, I told them, "No, we drove an hour up here and it's an hour back.  We're not leaving unless the flight is canceled."  

My aunt tried to entertain the oldest girl while I focused on the younger one, letting her use my phone for YouTube and listening to her talk about "Stranger Things," and while we sat, the flight was not only bumped to 11:50, but moved to a different gate (they had had mechanical problems in Los Angeles, and everyone had to disembark, load into a new plane, and wait for it to get the luggage aboard before they could head our way, and as you know, Bob, everything takes longer than you think that it will).  But sure enough, the plane landed, unloaded, they cleaned it quickly, and at 11:53, the girls got on, and Blanca and I walked back to where I had parked her car.

Except that I didn't know where we were anymore.  The airport was now empty and quiet, and my aunt's legs were really aching, and we walked what had to be more than a mile, maybe two, back to the parking garage . . . which turned out to be the wrong one (I guess there's Parking Garage East and Parking Garage West, and I'd led us to the opposite one).  She was really tired when we finally found her car, and I drove us out of there . . . but because we'd been in short-term parking, then stayed four hours, they charged a fortune to leave the garage.  Sad.

But hey, I got to spend time with my aunt, and help her out, and I don't mind staying up late, so it really wasn't that huge of a sacrifice on my part.  Plus, I got a free pork burrito.

Writing or Exercise: Writing

7/12

Something was wrong with me today.  I was tired and unambitious.  I'm not proud of myself about it, but I'm reminded of a day last week when my mom said she didn't get out of bed until eleven or twelve, so hey, it happens.

Big did a video the other day of himself going on a toy run at various stories, and he was inspired by me telling him about a podcast I unearthed from about 2014 where I recorded myself going to Walmart at about 2:00am, hoping to find something cool.  I wished I had done it on video, because it would be neat to see what was on the shelves back then, especially if there was stuff the 2013 me found ordinary (and not worth buying) that's extraordinarily valuable today.  I think I'd like to make my own video too, but no promises.

I should've written more tonight.  But I didn't.  I got about a page done, and Alec and Ana are now entering the hospital.  If I write tomorrow, it should be exciting.

Writing or Exercise: Both (I forgot about push-ups)

No comments: