Thursday, October 15, 2020

October Sweeps - Day 257

I would normally be at the cabin today, and it threw off my whole week.  It turned out that I didn't even have all that much work to do so I could afford to spend time on whatever I wanted, but the day flew by just the same.

I managed to go over to the library right before it closed.  I got some more words done on the "Lara and the Witch" story, and that should have been finished by now, unless I need to have it be about something other than Lara falling in love and finding out if it's real or not.  I had this idea of bringing in another villain, somebody from Holcomb's past that has been mentioned before, but I can't decide.  Right now, I think I'll bring up the idea, and pay it off in a future story.  But that would make this one a story roughly the length of the first tale, and I can't say whether that works or not.

Ah, eff it.  I just want to get to "the end" on this one and go on to the next project.  I have already started to feel my motivation wane, and my muse has grabbed her coat and gloves and will be heading out the door any time now.  Then all this writing, all this exercise, all this truly pointless yearning and creativity will be in the rear-view mirror, and it will seem like a minor diversion I had one time, before going back to what I was before . . . what I always am.

But hey, it was a damned good run while it lasted.

Sit-ups Today: 150
Sit-ups In October: 2126

I guess I'm doing horror movies this month, because I watched another one.  Oh, back in my day, there wasn't a week that went by without me watching a horror film . . . or two, or three.  But now, I pretty much only watch them when Jeff comes to visit from Germany, or when Jordan Peele puts out a new one in theaters.  This time, it was READY OR NOT, from 2019.  

It was pretty good, really, and I enjoyed it quite a bit, with a moment or two absolutely delightful.  But it wasn't perfect, and when I saw how high its Rotten Tomatoes score was (and read one reviewer that gave it a 10 out of 10), well, I have to say that I liked it a little bit less.

Push-ups Today: 68
Push-ups In October: 928

Boy, the push-ups sucked today.  I only managed forty before I had to stop and rethink my life.  I did manage to resume them a few seconds later, but the work was hard.  What happens when I'm doing eighty, or a hundred of these a day?  Crazy.

I enjoyed my run tonight, even though it was the coldest night since before summer.  I was thinking about another writing project, and one of the things I dug in the past was attempting to re-imagine Western stories as Sci-Fi stories (much like you get OUTLAND which is HIGH NOON in space, or BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS which is THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN in space, or AVATAR which is DANCES WITH WOLVES/POCAHONTAS in space), and I got it into my head to try and transplant George Armstrong Custer to a space setting, and turn the Lakota-Cheyenne into aliens.  I'm not sure if that's an exercise worth doing, since AVATAR really did the aliens-as-Native-Americans thing already, and one day there's supposed to be a ton of sequels coming out.

Words Today: 528
Words In October: 12,845


No comments: