Thursday, January 07, 2021

January Sweeps - Day 341


You heard me say this on Wednesday (or rather, you saw me type this), but I wasn't particularly keen on writing yesterday.  Luckily, I did pick a file ("Only Have Eyes") and wrote half a thousand words on it, which isn't a lot, but was more than I wanted to, what with the chaos in our nation's capital, and actual, genuine interest in what would happen with the election certification.

Today, I have no such excuse.  I haven't written a single solitary word, and it may not happen at all.  It's not anything wrong with me, to be honest, it's just a repeat of what I was feeling in 2018 at this time: I don't particularly care about writing, and it seems like a waste of time to me.

I mean, it IS a waste of time, kids.  Nobody cares.  The only person with a vested interest in these stories and these characters is me, and I've frankly done enough.*  Don't believe me?  I've written 368,194 words since February first.  That is more than could reasonably be expected of me.  That's some Sanderson-level shit right there.

So forgive me if I haven't a damn left to give.

This is what I think of literally every time I hear someone use the term "cops out."

Instead, I'm going to sit down and work on my list of New Year's Resolutions, and maybe see how I did with last year's.

I wrote up a list and started to record my episode, but wow, it was loud.  The kids are having some kind of sleepover in the living room with the neighbor boys, so I may not be able to do sit-ups today, or get some recording done, which I really wanted to do (and it would count as at least SOME writing words, even if I'm still actively against it).  While running, I was thinking about stories I could present on my show, and I remembered one that I wrote around 2017 when I took my nephew to a school field trip and texted Big the whole time about how much worse it could be.

I thought it would be really, really fun to run that story (currently called "Bad Trip," although "Afield Trip" or "Trip Afield" might be better), but I'd warn people about its offensive content beforehand.  But with the TV blasting through the (closed) door, I guess I won't be doing that today.

After the kids had gone to bed, I ended up doing a podcast with Marshal, and then Big called and the three of us did a Star Wars show for February, and by the time that was done, I hadn't done sit-ups or push-ups, or had anything to eat, and I had used up 99% of my recording space (I'd had to stop recording and switch to the ultra low-quality audio setting at the end so I could finish the show), so I made myself some soup instead of recording the story for the show ("Field Trip of Dreams?"), which would've garnered me some words for the day at least.

In the end, it was nearly two o'clock, and I had to be up at eight-thirty the next morning, and I had, like, fourteen words written for the day.  So I sat down and forced myself to at least get to a hundred words, so that I'd have SOMETHING for the day, instead of nothing.  And that's the best I could manage.  

And it'll have to do.

Push-ups Today: 120 (wow, that was actually one extra)
Push-ups In January: 633

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In January: 803

Words Today: 181
Words In January: 3723


*So much so that I'm willing to do a great deal of math right now instead of write.  MATH. 

No comments: